Friday, November 30, 2012

Heirloom Cooking

Sincere apologies for not posting a recipe last week. My laptop is on the fritz and I was too busy on Thursday running with friends, getting in the holiday spirit, eating Thanksgiving dinner with my boyfriend’s family, and watching friends run the Seattle Marathon.  

A couple weeks ago, I saw this article on NPR’s food blog The Salt. It’s the story of two sisters and their memories of their Aunt Ida and her goldeneh hendts, Yiddish for golden hands. It also includes a recipe for Poppy Seed Cookies that I’m excited to try. This story is not unique, however. We all come from families and cultures that pass along memories in the form of food from one Thanksgiving dinner to the next. Or Christmas or Independence Day or New Year’s.

So, I’d like to share with you a recipe from my Grandma Knutson that I’ve enjoyed every Thanksgiving since I can remember. And as a bonus, it’s on the healthier end of the spectrum of holiday treats.

Cranberry Ice by Grandma Margie
1 quart or 1 bag of fresh cranberries
2 cups of water
2 cups of sugar (I skimped this year and used 1.5 cups)
1/4 cup of lemon juice (approx 2 lemons)
1/2 cup of orange juice
2 more cups of cold water

1.       Boil cranberries in 2 cups of water for about 10 minutes.

2.       Put water and cranberries through fine sieve to squeeze out a smooth pulp (I also add a spoonful of squished berries to the pulp)

3.       Add sugar, juices, and cold water.

4.       Stir to dissolve sugar

5.       Freeze, stirring after several hours for icy consistency

6.       Share family stories and enjoy compliments graciously
I made a batch last week and I’ve been enjoying it every day since. It’s also the only food that sounds good to me these days with the sore froat that has been bothering me for weeks. Although I missed being with my parents, siblings, and cousins this Thanksgiving, I’m making my own traditions. My friend Hallie put together a really fun swim set for Wednesday and a few friends and I have started our own Turkey Trot. We were frustrated with the only options being 5ks, so we run an 8-ish mile route and then go out for coffee.

In my late teens and early 20s, I figured by 30 years old I’d be married with a big house, a dog, and at least a couple kids. But as I look at my life now, I’m really content with the “family” of friends and runners and triathletes who surround me. We’ve made our own traditions of meals, drinks, and workouts. And as I change and life changes, I hope these are the heirlooms that I can pass down.

With Thanks,
Cathleen 

No comments:

Post a Comment