Sunday, November 27, 2011

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Monster Cookies

First off, congratulations to everyone who finished the Seattle marathon or half marathon today. 2011 was another ugly year for this race. It has been windy and rainy since about 7:45 this morning. My hands and feet finally have some feeling back in them. It's a tough time of year when most people are finished with "A" races and recovering before hard training picks up again. And by most people, I'm referring to most triathletes I know. The Seattle course is also tough with a lot of hills. I've run the full 7 times; this was the first year (and maybe the last) running the half.

Secondly, I'm sharing one of my favorite recipes that will ease the pain of a disappointing or rainy day. Once you share these cookies with your family, friends, and co-workers, nobody will care about your race. Feel free to make these cookies anytime of year. I often bring them to morning swim workouts, BBQ's, etc. People go nuts about them. And since they are made with oats instead of flour, a lot of folks (including everyone on the gluten-free wave) think they're healthier. Enjoy!

The fruit bowl in the background is an old golfing trophy
from my grandma. Go grandma K!
Peanut Butter Oatmeal Monster Cookies 
About 3 dozen cookies

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, slightly softened
1 1/2 cups creamy natural peanut butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
3 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 teaspoons baking soda
4 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
About 1 cup chocolate candies or other mix-ins - I typically use a combination of peanut butter M&M's, regular M&M's, Reese's Pieces, walnuts, and milk chocolate chips, but there are lots of options (kind of depends on what looks good in the candy aisle).


1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Cream butter, peanut butter, and sugars. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Beat in baking soda, then oatmeal and mix-ins.
3. Drop onto cookie sheets with an ice cream scoop and flatten slightly. Bake at 350F for 8-10 minutes or until done. Do not over bake!
4. Remove from oven when slightly golden. Let cool on the sheets for a few minutes until they have firmed up enough to remove to wire racks.

5. Share with your friends.
6. Accept compliments graciously.
7. Repeat anytime of year.

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog and love it so far! I am looking forward to reading more about your racing as 2012 unfolds. AND of course can't wait to try these cookies :) :)
    -Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks! I’m glad you like it so far. I’ve been reading your blog since my friend found your Santa Claus post. Loved it! Also, I should probably add a disclaimer about how good these cookies are; I’ve definitely made meals out of them…
    -ck

    ReplyDelete