Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Going Pro - part I (as in not going pro)

I was a bit reluctant to write about this, as it seems somewhat presumptuous. But this blog was meant to be open, honest, and a platform for me to share the thoughts of a competitive age grouper…who someday may go pro…maybe...well, when I'm ready...okay, read on:

Last year when I had the race of my life at Ironman Coeur d’Alene, I achieved something that I really had not set out to do – I qualified to apply for my elite license with the USAT, by finishing as the 2nd amateur of the day with a 10:16:02 on a fairly difficult and technical course. I was second to the ever talented Sarah Piampiano who crushed everyone in her first Ironman and is now succeeding at the pro level. I like to mention this whenever possible – faster by association or something. I thought with another year of training and experience I’d be in a position where competing as a professional would be a little less futile and I’d be ready for a “great experience.”

But simply entering some races as a professional isn’t the “great experience” I’m after. If I someday pull the trigger on this dream, I want to be ready for it, as in “100%-of-my-heart-overflowing-with-confidence-not-scared-of-getting-my-ass-handed-to-me" into it.  And right now, I’m not there. I'm certain I'll get my butt kicked, but I'd still like to make sure I'm prepared for it. After a tough early season of training and not the result I wanted at Ironman St. George, I’ve decided to hold off a little longer. When I started the year, I told myself and others that I’d only go pro if I felt like my training was where it needed to be and I had some really breakthrough races. My training is good, not great, and I’d say my races have been kind of “meh.” My eligibility to apply for my elite license expired yesterday June 26, 2012, so I will again need to meet their qualifying standards (though I have been close at "B" races, so I'm optimistic it will happen again). But it's always been my thought that if I can't re-qualify, I don't deserve to go pro.

So, this is part I. Part II can wait and I hope it involves me gushing all over life as a first year pro. I’m not giving up on this goal and I know I need to be patient. But even though the USAT says it’s okay for me to apply for my elite license, I need a few more months (maybe longer) and now another qualifying race before I’m ready. Big thanks to Coach K for supporting me through this decision, yet allowing me to make it on my own. And thank you to my friends and family (and blog readers) who still take a lot of interest in the life of an age grouper. Based on the number of people signing up for Ironman events around the world, I would guess most AG athletes will agree:it’s actually pretty awesome.

Big hugs,
Cathleen

6 comments:

  1. I appreciate this post as I made a similiar decision after Ironman Louisville this past year, also qualfying after being the 2nd amateur. It's a tough decision, but like you, I'm not ready to make that jump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. I will admit it's definitely a good position to be in, but we all have different timelines. Congratulations to you on your qualifying and best of luck the rest of the season!! Perhaps we'll both be new pros in 2013.

      Delete
  2. I stumbled upon your blog this week. I'm sure turning pro is very daunting and not something I'll ever be able to consider, but seeing as you are a) now in my age group and b) a lot faster than me, I fully encourage you to turn pro! All in good fun of course.
    Good luck with your races this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - thanks! Hmmm...I'll have to cyber-stalk your blog a) because it's really funny and b) so I don't sign up as the same races as you. Best of luck this year! Keep the funny, sarcastic posts coming!!

      Delete
  3. Soooo happy to cheer you on as a badass elite, soon to be pro "whenever" you are ready!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw this come through on Wednesday and it warmed my heart! THANK YOU HEATHER! Happy to cheer for you any day, as well. :)

      Delete